Gourmet Belgium – Brussels and Brugge9 - 16 May 2021 (8 days / 6 nights)
Day 1 – Sunday
- Transfer to Brugge with group from Provence or own arrangements.
- Time to walk around this quaint town then dinner at one of our favourite restaurants, specialising in local fare including the famed “Moules Frites”
Day 2 – Monday
WALKING TOUR, HISTORY AND CANALS
- Breakfast at hotel.
- AM: Join me for a leisurely walk around this very pretty town with a local guide, inviting us to delve into history of Brugge as we discover centuries old buildings including the Belfry, local lore and the aptly named ‘Chocolate Street’ where you will have plenty of time to wander in and out of dozens of shops and taste some of the delicious offerings.
- Lunch in the main square to take in the ambience then those feeling energetic can enjoy a steep climb to the top of the tower in the main square, white others enjoy some ‘retail therapy’ before we enjoy a leisurely canal ride to see the best of Brugge from the water.
- Dinner tonight is at one of my favourite places in town where the chef cooks, depending on his mood!
Day 3 – Tuesday
CHOCOLATES, WAFFLES AND A NIGHT TOUR
- AM. This morning, we head to the fascinating chocolate museum which documents the centuries old history of this delicacy from its earliest roots until today, tasting various grades of chocolate along the way.
- A local lunch of waffles should satisfy before you enjoy a free afternoon to wander the streets, explore, shop and watch the world go by.
- This evening, we have an early dinner before joining a walking ‘night tour’ of Brugge, discovering the darker side of this quaint town. We spend about an hour and a half, winding in and out of cobblestoned streets that most tourists never see and the tour ends with a famous local beer.
Day 4 – Wednesday
BRUSSELS, MARKETS AND MUSSELS
- AM. This morning we head to the station to take the train to Brussels and take some time to settle into our hotel and surroundings.
- There is so much to see and do in this sophisticated European city and you will no doubt enjoy the opportunity of some free time to explore!
- This afternoon, we head to Place Chatelain for a leisurely walk around one of Brussel’s most popular markets, tasting cheese, olives, pate and much more and ending with an ‘apervo’ as we watch the world go by.
- Tonight we head to Chez Leon for a casual dinner in one of the oldest restaurants in Brussels. Originally serving only ‘Moules Frites’, the menu now offers a wider range of Belgian and European favourites.
Day 5 – Thursday
GOURMET WALK, CHOCOLATE AND MICHELIN STARS
- AM: This morning, we meet our private guide for a historical/gourmet walk around Brussels, learning about the history, architecture and art as well as tasting a range of cheese, pate, sausage, pastry, bread and coffee along the way, ending with a local beer.
- This afternoon join a private class for a chocolate making extravaganza. During the class we will learn about different varieties of cocoa and learn how to temper chocolate, then move on to pralines, filled chocolates and finish with the ultimate hot chocolate!
You will of course, take all your hand made creations home with you.
- Spend the rest of the day at your leisure before we re-group for dinner at the spectacular ‘Alexandre’, just a few minutes walk away. This restaurant is one of the best in the city and is a contemporary feast for the senses, and some of prettiest food I’ve ever eaten!
Day 6 – Friday
COOKING CLASS, SHOPPING AND DINNER
- This morning we head to one of Brussels’ premier cooking schools to indulge in Belgian style cuisine before sitting down to a delicious lunch together. The school also has an incredible gourmet market and shop so expect to have a real ‘foodie’ experience.
- This afternoon, take your time to enjoy Brussels as you spend some free time shopping, visiting one of the many art galleries or gardens, or perhaps catching up on a little rest.
- Dinner tonight has intentionally been left ‘open’ so that we can decide what we all feel like. I have lots of suggstions to ‘whet’ your appetite.
Day 7 – Saturday
BIKE TOUR, CHEESE TASTING, RACLETTE
- This morning we take a bike tour around Brussels, taking in some of the lesser known sights and work up an appetite for our beer and fries from the world famous Maison Antoine along the way. Only moderate levels of fitness are required. If you don’t wish to bike ride, please advise.
- After some time to rest, we head out to Plateau du Berger, a cheese shop that has become and instituion. Specialising in raw milk cheese from all over Europe, we will enjoy a tasting of cheese carefully matched with wine and then indulge in the fantastically indulgent Raclette – oozy cheese usually heated by a direct element and then served over boiled potatoes, pickled onions and charcuterie. For those wanting a little night life, a jazz club might be a lovely finish to a great day.
Day 8 – Sunday
- Although we are leaving today, I suggest a slightly later departure so that we can visit the Marche du Midi… one of the largest Sunday markets in Europe. For our last snack together, Moroccan pancakes and mint tea are the traditional market lunch! The hotel will be happy to take care of our bags until we return.
- Group transfer to Normandy or your own travel arrangements.
Rates & Bookings
Rate per person sharing twin room: € 2450
Single supplement: € 600
TO BOOK PLEASE CONTACT:
Single supplement: € 600
TO BOOK PLEASE CONTACT:
Rate per person includes:
- Seven nights accommodations in Belgium
- Meals: daily breakfast, lunches and dinners as per itinerary
- Excursions as per itinerary,
- Entrance to all excursions,
- Transportation for all excursions,
- Group transfer from Brussels to Normandy, if continuing with Normandy tour.